Day 1 in DC


We started off our day with a walk over  to the Eastern Market, thinking we would grab a breakfast there.  We’ve done breakfast at the market on a past trip, but it wasn’t exciting food.  We sauntered over to Bourbon Coffee, in the Capitol Hill area, instead.  We enjoyed a great pour over and cappuchino of Rwandan Coffee, plus a delicious breakfast sandwich.  So happy we skipped that breakfast at Eastern Market.


We walked back to the flat, to shower and then returned to the Market to pick up apples, cider. We also wanted to pick up some cheese at one of our favorite places, Sona Creamery. We were shocked to find out their cheese counter is gone and has been replaced with a beautiful extension to their bar area. We’ve been going to Sona before they could even make cheese.  Luckily Genevieve, one of the owners, remembered us and came out to chat with us.  They did offer to sell us some of their homemade goat cheese, which we happily did purchase.

After returning the purchases to the flat, we ventured out to the Renwick Gallery.  We’ve been waiting for this gallery to open for some time.  The Renwick is a contemporary craft museum, and as part of the Smithsonian it is free. We arrived just after opening and the place was busy.

After our stroll through the museum we headed over to the National Geographic Museum.  We stopped by the White House to people watch, unfortunately not many wackos were out.  Sadly there is another blockade after the perimeter fence.  Last time we snapped photos of the White House, we could do so through the big fence, no more.

The next museum was a paid museum, but because they are undergoing some exhibit changes the price was reduced.  We both agreed the price was still high for the one exhibit we did see.

After our two museums, we were a bit hungry.  We ended up at ChruchKey, a place a nephew had highly recommended.  The tap menu was exceptional and the food matched it.

We decided a nap was in order to round out the day activities.  We returned to the flat to nap and freshen up before we meet our nephew and his girlfriend for dinner.

Dinner was at our favorite craft beer place, Bluejacket.  We have always had amazing service here and tonight was over the top.  We arrived earlier and had a chance to chat with our server, Brad, before the place became extremely busy.  We told Brad how we fly down from CT and always make a visit here, especially for their Mexican Radio Beer.  Next thing you know he comped us two Mexican Radios.  Our nephew and his girlfriend soon arrived, the half pours started flowing and Brad comped us two appetizers.  After dinner, Brad handed us a bottle of Mexican Radio to take home, his gift to us. This man  knew beer,  handled multiple tables and found the time to give us great service.  Couldn’t ask for a better feeling at a restaurant.

Mexican Radio Beer, a sweet stout

After dinner, Mike and I decided to take a little stroll to see the Washington Monument.  Perfect way to end a great day.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Blog at

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: